Friday, December 23, 2016

patience and gratitude ... and lots of excitement!

Delayed gratification was something that I had been contemplating before my family and I moved to Algeria. It seemed as though too much in our lives was about consumerism and acquiring material possessions and our ability to have what we want, when we want, in other words, NOW! I was aware of the fact that life here, for us anyway, wasn’t going to be like that and I was ready to embrace that … or so I thought. Well, when the electricity or water cuts off, I can’t say I’m excited about delayed gratification! But these experiences allow us to appreciate all the things we take for granted, such as, continuous electricity and running water. 

But everyone has their ups and downs. I was going to post about how a lack of decent internet has bothered me and my need for social interaction with like-minded people. I was going to post about how I signed up for an Expat Yarn Swap* in March and although my package reached it’s recipient, the package that was meant for me arrived in Algiers (according to the postal tracker) but never arrived at my door step.

But up until now, we've somehow managed to connect to the internet. Skype calls were always dropped, kept breaking up or had delays and we got a little frustrated at times. And now you know partly why I wasn't blogging. Then not so long ago, more than 3 years after arriving here, we got hooked up to a very normal ADSL line and it does feel strange to say the least. It’s nice but sometimes I forget that I don’t have to wait for the early morning lull in cyber traffic to load something. It’s strange how we can get so accustomed to not having certain things that we took for granted before. 



Two days ago, I received a note from the post office, telling me there was post for me that hadn't been delivered. It was pouring down with rain. And I was playing it cool, but there was this little buzz of excitement deep down that made me get baby to sleep, wrap up, grab an umbrella and brave the deep deep puddles. I picked up my package and it was clearly from my Expat Yarn Swap partner, V. I got home with shoes and socks (hand-knit socks, I might add) soaked through. But it was worth it! As I walked back I thanked God for these little joys that make our days that much better. And I thought if this isn’t delayed gratification, what is? I know it’s not self-imposed, but it’s like that here. Things are delayed, and you don’t let it bug you if you want to keep your sanity in place. You get on with all the wonderful things around you and when those other things work out or turn up, it’s all the more special. Well, that's the way I choose to look at it. 


And when this treat turned up, I was so humbled by my swap partner’s generosity. She'd wrapped everything up carefully and ensured that there was something for everyone in this package! Allahi barik (God bless). The yarn is locally (from Minnesota, USA) hand-dyed.


But that project bag ... it blew me away! She made it especially for ME! How truly heart-warming! AND she got the style and colours just right!


There was a notions pouch, gorgeous mini skeins and stitch-markers and beautiful handmade soaps! I'm trying to get V to open an Etsy shop selling her soaps and bags!

So, there you go. I just had to share this little piece of my life. I think we have to get through those troughs to get to the peaks in life and to savour them that bit more. Wishing you all much longer peaks than troughs! :)

Wednesday (top) and Thursday (bottom)!

* The Expat Yarn Swap was hosted by Mina Phillip of the Knitting Expat Podcast in March 2016 



5 comments:

sharon December 23, 2016 at 6:00 PM  

Such a joyful post. My heart swelled when I read of your package finally getting into your arms and filling your heart as well.
Your thoughts expressed here and the photos you've shared are a gift to all of your readers. Happy to know your internet is being more cooperative... that means we'll be visiting with you from time to time in the days ahead. Wonderful.
Happy day to you.

Kerrie December 24, 2016 at 5:31 AM  

Nice to see how everyone else in the world lives. And that package looked like it was well worth the wait!

Fruitful Fusion December 24, 2016 at 9:30 PM  

Thank you dear Sharon! It's so lovely to know that you are thousands of miles away and still feel the joy. Warm wishes to you and yours.

Kerrie, thank you for stopping by. It really was worth the wait.

Jodiebodie December 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM  

That's so lovely that your parcel made it. I hear what you are saying about unreliable Internet and electricity drop outs. I heard from a traveller that the slums of Mumbai have better 4G access than we do in Australia! Like you, I'm just grateful when the Internet works! May 2017 being you more happy goodies like the ones in your photos here. Best wishes always

Imaan January 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM  

as salaamu `alaykum dear Sister!

Beautiful post... we really do need to be a little more patient and a little more grateful, don't we? We have grown so accustomed to instant gratification that we don't think about and appreciate the little things anymore. Like you, I've learnt to slow down... and I love waiting for snail mail :)

PS: Must talk to you more about the IGCSEs :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say and look forward to checking in with your blog too.

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP